Stadia was launched on the market promising to be the future of video games, but it has fallen far short. The service has not convinced gamers and not even Google, which closed the studios that were going to make their own games for Stadia. The best thing that this service has brought to the world of video games is its command, which we must admit that it is ergonomic and of quality. Plus, it works great with all kinds of games.
But does the Google Stadia controller only work with Stadia? Luckily not. If you’re not enjoying streaming games on the service, you can use the controller on your PC to play games from Steam, GeForce Now, Epic Games or any other. Of course, the correct way to connect and make the Stadia controller work on PC is not very intuitive, so we will immediately teach you step by step how to use it.
2 Ways to Use the Google Stadia Controller on Your Windows PC
First of all, you should know that Stadia Controller can only be used on PC via cable to play on GeForce Now, Steam, etc. You will not be able to use it wirelessly. And it can be connected in two ways: by Steam (the easiest) or by emulating it as an Xbox 360 controller. Below, we will explain both.
How to use the Stadia Controller on PC with Steam (also works for GeForce Now, Epic Games, etc.)
Steps to use Google Stadia Controller on Steam, GeForce Now, etc.
This method will allow you to use the Stadia Controller with virtually any game or store you have on your PC, through Steam. It’s very easy, you just have to follow these steps:
- Firstly, connect the Stadia controller to your PC with a USB cable.
- The controller logo should light up white. If it comes out orange, change the port or cable.
- Then, open Steam. If you don’t have this app, download it here.
- In Steam, tap the icon Big picture mode which is next to your username in the upper right corner.
- After opening this mode, the Stadia controller may already start working no need to do anything else.
- If this is not your case, then go to Settings (press the gear icon) using your keyboard and mouse.
- Choose Controller Settings.
- If the controller is properly connected, Steam should show it in this section as “Generic Controller” or “Generic Controller: Stadia”.
- Now click on the command detected option and then on preferences. There, name it “Stadia” and tap Send.
- Next, press on Define template. In this section you must verify that all the buttons are correctly assigned. If not, configure them yourself and finally press on Keep.
- Ready! Restart Steam and you can now use the controller to play the games you have on this platform.
Want to use the Stadia Controller with games or services from other stores? Well Exit Big Picture Mode and follow these steps:
- Push the button add a product from the lower left corner.
- Then choose Add a non-Steam product.
- Now, choose the game, store or service where you want to use the controller and add it.
- Finally go to your library from Steam and open the game. That’s it! You can now play with the Stadia controller.
- Didn’t you recognize him? Then go to Big Picture Mode and open the game from there. That’s how it should work yes or yes.
That’s it! This way you can use your Stadia controller to play a wide variety of PC games that are not on the Google service.
How to use the Stadia Controller with x360ce (for any game or platform on PC)
Steps to use the Stadia Controller on PC with x360ce
Using the above method, you may not be able to play certain games that are not supported by the Steam app. That is why we bring you this other method that it will allow you to play absolutely anything you have on your PC. What we will do is force the PC to recognize the Stadia controller as an Xbox 360 controller, which has full compatibility with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, etc.
To use the Stadia Controller in this way, you need to do the following:
- Connect the Stadia controller to the PC via cable.
Download the x360ce program on your PC.
- We recommend the “For All Games” version so you don’t get complicated.
- Unzip the downloaded file and double click on the program.
- Then press the button Add and select the Stadia controller (the only one that should appear). Add it by clicking the button Add selected.
- On the next screen, make sure your Stadia Controller is selected and the option Enable 1 Mapped Device.
- Now map the controller (assign an action to each button). To do this, click on each action displayed by the program and select Record. Immediately afterwards, he presses the button corresponding to that action on the controller.
- After mapping the entire controller, we recommend that you go to devices and in that section only select the connections of the Google Stadia command. We do this to avoid conflicts with other controllers or peripherals.
- In addition, you must go to Options and activate the options Allow only one of Application at a time and Always on Top. Thus, the program will not close in the middle of a game and will not be opened several times. Believe us that this will save you more than one headache.
- Finally, minimize the x360ce program and… To play!
I would already be. With this last method it is impossible for a game or service not to recognize the Stadia controller on your PC. It will even help you play NVIDIA GeForce Now from Chrome. Anyway, we hope that this tutorial has been useful to you and if you have any questions, let us know.