With its version 8.4.1, Telegram introduced the possibility of translating messages without leaving the application. And no, we are not talking about the method of translating texts on Telegram with a translator bot. The new translation function is 100% integrated in the app: you just have to activate it in the settings and then you’re ready to go touch any message to translate it with the press of a button.
In this way, it will be easier for you chat in any language with people from all over the world thanks to Telegram. Even this function can be used to practice your written English or any other language you are learning. If you still don’t know how to translate on Telegram without leaving the app, we’ll explain right away.
How to translate messages on Telegram without leaving the application
To use the integrated Telegram translator, you must first activate it from the app settings in this way:
- Opens Telegram on your mobile.
- Touch the button of the three horizontal lines which are in the upper left corner.
- Go into Settings.
- Choose Language.
- Activate the option Show translate button.
- After doing so, the option will appear don’t translate where you can choose which languages Telegram will not suggest to translate them. By default, your native language (Spanish) will appear, but you can add another language that you speak and do not need to translate.
By the way, if you don’t see this function in the Telegram settings, it’s because your app is out of date. Go to the Google Play Store to update it or download the latest Telegram APK.
Once you have activated the “Show Translate button” option, you just have to do the following to translate any message in Telegram:
- Enter the chat, group or Telegram channel you want.
- tap the message that you want to translate.
- press the option Translate.
Ready! This way you will see the translation in an overlay window in the chat that, after reading it, you can remove it with the button close translation.
It is worth noting that, in my tests with a mobile with Android 7.1.1, Telegram translation still doesn’t work well. For some reason, it only translates the first few words of a text and forgets the rest. But with Android 9.0 or higher (the version that most mobiles currently have) it works without problems.
And yes, it seems that Telegram has hacked the Google Translate API so as not to pay to use this function…